#IssaShares: How to Go Ukay-Ukay Shopping!

While I love my family for gifting me clothes and also love shopping outside (esp online!!), you'll be surprised to know that ukay-ukays are something that makes me just as happy and calm because of all the good finds. And if you've been seeing my IG stories or tweets the past few days (and if you don't, you better follow me hehe), then you probably already know how I've been checking out ukay ukay spots during my long vacation.

(My pants AND top was only 35 PHP, combined!)

Since everyone's been asking where it is, I wanted to share it, as well as my own thrift shopping tips. So read on to check out where my top ukay-ukay store/s are!

Quick fact: I began thrift shopping when I was around 15 and first went in for the heck of it with my mom. Once I found a cashmere sweater for 10 PHP (and posted about it during my nene blog days here), I started going more when I had the chance. Where I go to? Down south in Tagaytay!

My Top Ukay-Ukay: Olivarez Plaza, Tagaytay


Olivarez Plaza in Tagaytay has a TON of ukay ukay stores inside. Not only do they have a lot of places to find clothes that suit you, but also extremely cheap stuff. I'm talking about clothes as low as 5 PHP here!



This has been my favorite place because of all the places to go to for thrift shopping. I've gotten clothes for as low as 5 PHP each, spending on dozens of clothes that fit me well for less than 50 each! And nothing beats telling people I got my outfit cheaper than my lunch for the day, LOL

How to Go Thrift Shopping (Ukay-Ukay)


But with the tons of stores to go to and the abundance of clothes in just one area, I'm pretty sure it takes a lot out of you just looking at your options. To help you out, I've some tips to share:

1. Be Patient and Scan Quickly



Whenever I go shopping (be it in malls, small stores, or online), I have my own method that has me save time. I have a plan of things I'm eyeing for and what suit me best, already knowing a gist of my size, so while walking, I do three things simultaneously: look at colors/material, see its fit/style, check the price. Then I look into the clothes itself if it has any tears or permanent stains. Looks OK? Let's go!


While this has me find things within less than an hour, I also suggest that you be patient, too! Thrift stores have a LOT of things to offer, and everything is completely different, with some flaws.
So keep in mind that while all the hangers and stands are overwhelming at first, scouring through then one by one, based on what you see you can wear, works best! But if you've got another efficient shopping method, that works too.

2. The Sales Are At the Back



A lot of people tend to focus only at the front of the store, already enticed by the 20-40% off items. This is why I recommend that you explore the store if you can, as they have the cheapest clothes and sales at the back or sides of the store. You'll see 50% off, buy 3/4/5 for 100, as well as clothes that range between 5-20 PHP.


These aren't advertised as well as the ones in front, and they're priced like that for a reason. It's either they're heavily stained/torn, or it hasn't been bought in so long. But honestly, my best finds come from that area, and I'm able to score good stuff without any issues! So make sure you don't forget these areas, too.

3. Come Prepared



Don't expect luxury treatment when going to an ukay-ukay. With that being said, the staff is nice and there's no problem with the environment, especially in Tagaytay. But if you've got respiratory issues like me or have a sensitive nose, then be prepared and wear a mask.


It's best to wear comfortable clothes for the heat and if you plan on fitting the clothes. Make sure you stay safe and avoid bringing valuables or any heavy bags, too!

4. Don't Be Afraid to Negotiate



Depending on the price and negotiating skills, you might still get a discount when you're about to pay. There are some people who allow it, so don't be afraid to ask!

5. Washing Your Finds



Once you've got your items, make sure that you wash it well. Soaking your clothes in boiling water before washing it helps remove bacteria from its material. And if you want to remove stains, there are hacks like using white vinegar or baking soda, which helps loads and has the whites look better.



Washing depends on the material, though usually, they're machine-washable. Once everything's dry, go on and don your finds! If you're like me, shout at the next person who compliments you, "IT WAS ONLY 5 PESOS SIS"

Hope You Find Some Clothes!



Ukay-ukays aren't limited to Tagaytay. You can find some neat stuff around Manila and Cubao as well, with Cubao being an old favorite (you can find 10-20 PHP deals there, too). MRT Guadalupe also has their own, though limited.



But if you like shopping without the heat and with more options, why not take the trip down south and make a day out of it, right? It's why I'll always love looking for cool stuff around here!

Anyway, hopefully you do give Olivarez Plaza (and Ukay Ukay Hub) a visit! If you wanna share your own tips and experiences, share em below, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

  1. I would very much like to shop with you, please and thank you. That's such an incredible haul! Practically a steal!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

T'would be appreciated if you leave your opinions and comments.
I'll be sure to check out your blog and reply asap! x

Popular Posts