#IssaShares Health and Weight: Tips on Becoming Healthier This 2019!

Last year was a whirlwind, and you best know it was filled with so many amazing experiences, from meeting new people down to trying out new things. 2019 is just as fantastic, if not better, but there's a difference… My body. 


I'm honestly not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but as someone who's extremely interested with nutrition and fitness, it's a fun discovery. And I continue to explore what my body's capable of based on the changes I do purely for mental & physical health! There were some things I began doing after I moved, which is probably what really helped in my overall wellbeing. I want to share it to you not solely for weight loss, but to hopefully give you some ideas on the small, gradual changes you can do for a healthier lifestyle.

1. I Work Out (And Enjoy It!)

If you follow me on Instagram, my stories are ALWAYS about the gym. You see me in the gym, my photos are in the gym, my life is in the gym. I began working out more to get my money's worth on the condo's association dues. JK (1/2)!


Exercise has been a huge part of my life while losing weight a few years ago, and has become an even bigger part of my life recently. It's not about burning calories, but the amazing feeling right after! Plus, I love surprising people with how strong I can be.

With working out, I have my own routine I made myself, which I enjoy a LOT. Weightlifting and running are my main loves, and it's given me the power (inside and out), the reason why you find me in the gym everyday. The energy, happiness, and the overall fulfillment of actually finishing a workout makes my days. And yes, it's actually addicting! 

But, that's just me! I'm not telling you that working out is an instant stress reliever, but I do recommend that you add a bit of activity in your daily life. If you can make the time for at-home workouts or find a sport you enjoy (maybe walking, yoga, swimming), then I encourage you to go for it! The health benefits are more than just weight loss.

2. Started Eating At Home

Again, my Instagram stories were once filled with restaurants and indulgent dishes EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Which is enjoyable, but it sucked in the wallet! Since rent went up (I got a slightly bigger unit), my mom and I decided it was time to start prioritizing the bills over expensive dishes. 


So we began cooking! Or at least, my mom did (no one trusts me in the kitchen). And fortunately for my mom, she raised kids who absolutely love vegetables. Our usual lunches consist of ampalaya, squash, okra, stir-fried cabbage, and when we do feel like eating meat, we have tuna (good for the brain!) or chicken. Oh, and I don't eat rice. Not for the carbs, but just because I rarely eat rice unless it's REALLY good. LOL.

Rather than eating out, we began eating in and it's VERY surprising as to how much you can save. Lunch or dinner can cost only less than 150 PHP for 2-3 people, and because the Go family cooks amazingly, home-cooked dishes are my favorite. 

What people say about eating out is true, it's quite expensive and you're unable to really estimate the amount of calories in the dishes you consume. Lessening my days of eating out to about 1-2x a week has really helped my budget in just one month. Try your hand at meal prepping and don't be afraid of the kitchen!

3. Got My Steps In

I aim for at least 3,000 steps a day. I know it's not much, but as someone who works at home all day, it's almost enough. It adds in to my activity for the day, I get to go out and see people, AND I don't go crazy staying on my couch with the cat as I write. 


Taking mini breaks from work gives me the chance to walk around, get some fresh air, and burn myself under the sun. Because of summer, I usually walk a night with my mom! I recommend that you have a pedometer, even an app (like Pacer) on your phone helps a lot, giving you an estimate of how far you walk and what you can do to increase the step count. Fitbit can wait. :(

4. I'm More Wary of WHAT I Eat

Quality over quantity in everything, including food. If you've seen me eat, you notice I can eat a LOT. At least three plates in buffets, finishing off my mom's leftovers, and being the vacuum of the family when I have the appetite.


While portion sizes are important, I believe it's what you eat that really helps with your health! So I started leaning towards more vegetables (though this was always a habit of mine), lessening oil and fat consumption, and looking more into consuming more healthy stuff throughout the day.

Do I eat junk food and fast food? Heck yeah! I'm just more aware of what to get and how much of it I eat. As I always say, one cookie a day is fine, but not an entire pack. Don't ignore or push away your vegetables, people! And don't cave in to spending a lot of money on milk tea and junk food (this sentence is for you, mama).

5. No Measurements or Weigh Ins

I stopped weighing and measuring myself years ago, actually! It's made me less conscious of how big or small I've gotten. I figured, the numbers will always change each day, and as long as I feel healthy and am healthy after checkups, then what's the point of pressuring myself?


Instead of focusing on the number of calories I consume, the number on the scale or measuring tape, I went for balance. To listen to my hunger cues, to know when I was full, when I went in too hard working out, etc. Finding balance in my life is a never-ending process, but as I continue each day learning more about my body and actually listening to it, the less I began binging on food and the like. 

6. It Isn't Just Food and Exercise


My health (and changes in body) isn't only thanks to my diet and exercise. I began focusing on other aspects of my life, which has helped me become more positive. As a result, it gave me more energy to move around, more encouragement to eat better, and a healthier perspective.


Besides the positive mindset, it's also about getting at least seven hours of sleep (which I'm still trying to achieve), as well as drinking more water, working towards your goals, and taking breaks when you can. I was surprised that resting and keeping up with the ups and downs of recovery made a huge impact to my overall health!

7. Still In the Process Of Loving Myself

There are days when I feel annoyed with myself. Whether it's my looks, my (lack of) productivity, even in my attitude, there are things I hate about myself and I suffer from many off days because of it.

That's why I try to convert this energy to something else, slowly paving a road to self-love and acceptance. Even if my skin isn't perfect or my arm flab not firming up, even if I don't finish my assignments or get to the gym on time, these are simple things that shouldn't be made into huge deals to the point it ruins your day and how you think of yourself. Focusing more on the better things and my body's capabilities, the achievements and accomplishments, has given me more strength to move forward and work harder in all parts of my life. 


Because of it, I'm able to stand up even taller. So… Take a break when needed, even if unscheduled. Rest, reflect, don't beat yourself up, and get back to your routine. 

I hope I helped you out, even by just a tiny bit! Remember, it's YOUR body and you know what's best for it, so learn about what you feel you need to change in your life, discover your body's capabilities, and flourish. If you want to share your thoughts, do comment below! I'd love to hear what you have to share. 

Comments

Popular Posts