#IssaShares: What I Learned Handling My Own Money

When I turned 13 years old, my dream was to buy my own phone, a Nokia C3 (yes, the QWERTY phone was still in back then). I saved as much as I can from my allowance, but only came up with less than 1,500 PhP, which was almost enough to purchase a secondhand C3. Then I realized… Why not make a business out of it?


At 14 years old, I created my own business. Almost ten years later, I'm now doing my best to pay for my own food and bills (though my parents, bless them, treat me out a lot). Today, even at a young(ish) age, I learned more on investing and saving. 

From consultations, research, and asking my parents and family incessantly, I share to you the top four lessons and realizations I had when handling my own money. 


1. You Don't Learn Much Of This In School


My parents taught me how to save and how to really value my money at a young age. But school never really taught me how I should invest in health insurance, what to expect when purchasing my own home, or at least, how to NOT spend all my money on tacos and toys. 

Everything, I learned based on experience and I'm lucky to have a family who would talk with me about financial matters even as a teenager. Of course, I don't recommend following exactly what you see in books or what your parents tell you, but it does help to have a basis. Choose to learn rather than ignore the early lessons and wait until you're older!

2. Begin Saving Now and Be REALISTIC


Again, it's best to begin learning more about money matters at an earlier age, if you can. And while some people have savings accounts from their families, it's still best to begin saving on your own and to do it now. It gives you the sense of ownership and value for money, also helping you learn more about organizing and the like.

I began saving almost ten years ago, and I have no regrets. I honestly don't think anyone would have any regrets when they start saving, only the fact that they didn't begin earlier!

Also remember, when you do begin saving now, you have to be realistic about your budget and goals. For me, I knew I couldn't make millions a month, which is why starting off slowly and accomplishing goals (which made me feel successful), did help me grow to where I am today.

3. Be a Smart Investor


As your money grows, you want to make sure that you don't only spend it on important daily needs like rent and food. When you have a little extra there, it's better to spend it more on bigger purchases that pay you back in the long run.

This doesn't necessarily mean investing in a business, but even in properties as well. You invest not only for financial success in the long run, but for your future as well. That's why I'm looking into condo properties, like CoHo by Camella, which offers affordable condo units I can use for myself, or even as a business to rent out.

Consider looking into ventures that suit you and give you return of investment. Also, whether it's a franchise, a lot, startup businesses or the like, research and take that leap for the next years to come.

4. You Have ALL the Freedom, But Don't Go All Out


Oh, I can't tell you how many times I've told myself how free I felt when I created my first bank account and saw the amount I had. I was able to buy as much food as I can, get a downpayment for certain things, and basically go on shopping trips every single day. But I learned to pay "real" bills three years ago and as you can see, my cat learned all about it, too!

While I do have the financial freedom (no more asking allowance from 'rents!), you also learn how important it is to avoid debt and the consequences of wasting everything you have on temporary purchases. That's why I set my own financial goals and organized how much I have, which I posted all about in my previous blog on how to save!

Wrapping It Up


And there ya have it! While I still have a long way to go, I have no regrets with how I handle money and continue to learn more helpful things along the way. If you've got more tips, do share it with me! 

Comments

  1. Besides this, entrepreneurs also need to secure their location in free zones before setting up a business in UAE. This is mainly because property in free zones are less expensive than properties in other parts of the city. The reason for cheaper property prices is that the government has made the construction of infrastructure in free zones subject to market demand and so builders charge lesser rates. But it must be noted that investors must hire the services of a real estate broker in order to find the best locations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting and helpful post for the young beginners and entrepreneurs! I have learnt great tips about saving money and I'm surely going to recommend your post to my cousins as well. You see, I am traveling to Dubai from the UK next month on a Dubai Visa. And I hope your tips are going to be of great help to me as I will be away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now a days there is very much competition in each and every field. In such a situation this blog can help you invest your money and secure it. I found this blog helpful and will surely try to follow the traits provided here in this blog. I am convinced to travel to Dubai for the Dubai expo 2021-22 but I don’t know the process of applying forDubai Visa, it will be great if you can help me with that as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

T'would be appreciated if you leave your opinions and comments.
I'll be sure to check out your blog and reply asap! x

Popular Posts