#IssaGOesPlaces: Where to Eat in Hong Kong + Travel Tips!

One of the main reasons why I love going back to Hong Kong isn't just because of its bustling streets and cold weather (well, during February!), it's because of all the FOOD and SHOPPING! And as much as I wanted to make a vlog out of this instead, my videos got deleted and I couldn't retrieve it. I'm lucky the photos were saved, though. :-(


So if you're wondering where to go when in Hong Kong, I did the walking for you and listed some of the things you MUST eat when there! 

5 Places to Try Out When in Hong Kong


If you knew me well enough, I am in LOVE with all Asian food, and being the Chinese girl I am, my guilty pleasure is Chinese food (and boy, LOL!). It's the main reason why I chose to go to Hong Kong for my birthday. They didn't only have an abundance of Chinese food, but other cuisines I've been dying to try out but couldn't find in PH!

1. Lockhart Road Market Food Center

Address: 225 Hennessy Rd, Wan Chai, Hong Kong


Just a few blocks away from the Wan Chai MTR station, Lockhart Road Market is actually a wet market with a ton of Chinese picks on the third floor! The food here is slightly cheaper than the typical Chinese resto, and with more variety. You can find various stalls here, though they're all in Chinese. Just ask the server for an English menu to get you started!

Dishes here cost between 40 to 60 HKD (300 to 400 PHP), depending on what you order.


These clams are a MUST-TRY! Steaming and hot from the wok, it was so saucy and so delicious.


Whenever I'm at a Chinese restaurant, I ALWAYS order eggplant with minced pork. It's hella oily, but where's the fun without it?


These porkchops were good, too! But I wish I had sweet and sour pork instead. :-(

2. Masala

Address: è™Ÿåœ°ä¸‹, 10 Mercer St, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong


I couldn't go around Hong Kong without trying some Indian food! Thanks to Eatigo, I managed to get a 50% discount in Masala, an Indian restaurant just by our hotel in Sheung Wan (a short walk from Sheung Wan MTR).


Look at the curry, aaaaah! We spent a total of 120 HKD (830 PHP) here, not bad for three people who were stuffed right after!


The samosas (20 HKD- 10 HKD [70 PHP] with a discount!) was a hit for me. Crunchy and so filling!


Not only were their lamb and chicken curries amazing, so was their service! The woman who owned the place was very nice and accommodating, telling us stories about life in HK and making sure we were enjoying.


If you're looking for more places for your fix of Indian food, Chungking Mansions @ Tsim Sha Tsui definitely has a tom at affordable prices as well.

3. Shake Shack

Address: IFC, 1 Harbour View St, Central, Hong Kong 


Aaaah, the infamous Shake Shack. When I heard it was open in HK, I knew I had to try it out with my mom and sis. While it's pretty pricey, it's totally worth it. I could polish off ten of these and have no regrets! Their burger prices are between 50 to 85 HKD (350 to 590 PHP), and their fries are 27 to 36 HKD (200 to 250 PHP)!


Their milkshakes (42 HKD [300 PHP]) were as thick as their burger patties, and as someone who didn't enjoy burgers before, I can confidently say I LOVE Shake Shack. Next stop, In n' Out!

4. Queen Street Cooked Food Market

Address: 38 Des Voeux Rd W, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong


This was our first stop once we arrived in our hotel. It was probably almost midnight by then, and we were starving! Luckily, the receptionist pointed us towards the Queen Street Cooked Food Market, which is open from 6AM til 2AM!

There are a ton of tourists around here with a wide selection of cuisine, ranging from Indian to Italian. But of course, Chinese food, please!


The dishes here are pricier compared to your usual food centre (like Lockhart Road Market!), though they don't scrimp on servings. Each dish is good for two to three people!

Expect to pay at least 40 to 50 HKD (250 to 350 PHP) per dish. Although I must say, it's worth it. But it might also be because my tummy was grumbling after a flight and long walk.

5. Street Food!

Address: Just about everywhere you go in Hong Kong?!

I was so psyched to go to Hong Kong because I knew I'd be able to get so full walking around because everywhere I went, there was cheap street food along the way! These are just some of my favorites I tried out.


Curry fish balls are 10 HKD (70 PHP) a stick, with a ton more choices like grilled peppers, tofu, or even squid! More expensive than fishballs in the PH, but definitely more saucy and flavorful.


These weren't the best egg tarts I had (I just got these on a whim to get change for the train), and people were recommending Lord Stow's when I asked. You can find egg tarts in any bakery, usually less than 10 HKD (70 PHP) per tart. I wish I explored more to find the best of the best, because I miss these when I went to Macau! :-(


I can NEVER forget about egg waffles! These are 13 HKD (90 PHP) each (depending on the toppings) and absolutely amazing. Crunchy yet fluffy, works with either sweet or savory toppings, you can't have just one.


As much as possible, I recommend that you look for dai pai dongs, open-aired food stalls! You'll find the best ones around Central or Sham Shui Po. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to try them out, but I hear it's another must-try so maybe next time! Besides that, go get some boba, too!

Some Travel Tips!


My stay in Hong Kong was a successful one, because I'm weirdly organized and direction-savvy when in other countries. Actually, just kidding. I'm just lucky my sister knew the way and my mom's been here a lot of times! Anyway, these tips may come in handy:

1. Get an Octopus Card


I recommend that you get an Octopus Card if you plan to commute a lot (which I'm pretty sure you'll be doing). You can order one online here and pick it up when you arrive in the airport! With this card, you have 50 HKD and you can top it off. Use it when commuting or even when paying for food and drinks.

I really recommend the Octopus Card because it's way more convenient than scrounging for exact change when taking the bus or MTR (mind you, bus drivers won't give you change!).

2. Get Ready to Walk and Stay Hydrated!


Depending on when you go to Hong Kong, you're either going to catch the extremely hot weather, or rainy and freezing. It's colder from November to March, while it gets hotter or humid during the rest of the year. 

When I went here in August, I was unprepared for the showers! Make sure that you bring an umbrella or raincoat with you, just in case. You'll be walking a LOT and you don't want to get sick and tired along the way! Pack water to avoid spending more on bottles, and ready your new walking shoes.

3. Where to Shop


When I do shop for stuff, my first instinct is to go to Temple Night Market. They've got a ton of trinkets and souvenirs I can bring home. Not only that, but there are a lot of food places to check out as well.


Just remember to ready your haggling skills! Many sellers would top up the prices so high and it can be a tourist trap. Set a straight face, and now's your chance to use your negotiating skills. ;)

4. Nightlife!


I definitely recommend Lan Kwai Fong if you're out bar hopping. It's bustling with a ton of people, lots of bars and happy hours, and I'm pretty sure you can make a new friend or ten with all the cute guys around (though that's not for me anymore, I'm taken LOL!).


You can find Lan Kwai Fong in Central. There are too many pubs and speakeasies to mention, but if you want to try it all, I'm not judging (and will actually want to join you!).

5. Speaking to Locals


You don't need to be fluent in Cantonese, though knowing a few words can help break the language barrier! However, locals are quite helpful and can help you find where you're going. Just remember to speak slowly and simply (no fancy and long words, please). 

Don't be afraid to ask for directions! It's better to communicate than risk getting lost.

Have fun!


I definitely had a fantastic time in Hong Kong. And you'll be surprised to know that besides accommodation (which was a wonderful birthday gift!), I spent less than 10,000 PHP on food and airfare. Thank you to Cebu Pacific and their piso sales (2,000 PHP for a round trip ticket? Steal!).


I don't know when I'll be back (as I'm planning out and saving for several trips for next year), but I know this country is close to my heart.

If you want to know more about Hong Kong or share your experience, feel free to message or comment below! I would love to help you out in your quest to find the best dim sum! ;)

Comments

Popular Posts