#IssaGOesPlaces: Mt. Sembrano, Rizal!

I'm back from the dead!


After a few months of breakdowns and picking myself back up right after, I finally realize my worth and found that passion to write for myself again. And the first one I obviously want to start with would have to be my first and last climb of 2018, which is Mt. Sembrano in Pililla, Rizal!


The climb was a fun one, starting with a wide road slowly making its way to rocky paths filled with greenery and sun. Fortunately, we were shaded by trees to avoid the direct heat while enjoying a cool breeze. Thank God, because I didn't bring any jacket and was preparing for uneven skin tone for a few weeks. 


We ended up reaching Manggahan Falls after an hour, taking a quick break with some cold and refreshing buko juice! This isn't only where people swim but where you're also able to camp for after reaching the peak the afternoon before. 


After that, we headed out again to get to the first peak. It took almost two hours and a LOT of steep, rocky climbs, but it was such a fun workout to the point I accidentally climbed the wrong area out of excitement (NEVER be as excited as me, please!).



Getting to the second peak was really quick, only taking a few minutes. We were already a bit exhausted but of course, my mom still slays. Can you believe people actually run here? It would be a dream of mine to join a trail run, starting here during a sunny weekend!



Once we reached the second peak, that's where we had our lunch and took a rest. While the others went on to the third peek (which would take about an hour to get to), my mom and I stayed put, enjoying the strong winds and taking some photos. We actually took a nap because it's THAT relaxing! <3


And down to Manggahan Falls we went, taking shorter (only an hour and a half?! Why is it always like this) but also just as difficult because the steep trek down hurts your ankles! Plus, it was pretty muddy since it just rained, so I ended up falling on my butt. But only once, which is an amazing achievement considering that I'm an accident-prone person, LOL.



We ended up going down to the falls, which was super cold and refreshing to the feet (I am now a firm believer in using sandals to climb, even when muddy). I wish I could've swum but maybe if I go back and have more time!


It took us another hour till we finally reached the registration area. After a whole day of that, I was already itching home for a hot shower and some shuteye (I don't sleep before climbs because… well, excited). 


All in all, I actually spent around 500 PHP during the trip, and yes, this also includes food! I would recommend Mt. Sembrano for beginners and those who want to train for a trail run. Just remember to watch out for its steepness and try scheduling it while it's sunny and dry!

Budget:

58 PHP - Jeep from Shaw to Pililla
40 PHP - Tricycle from the Market to Registration Area (200 PHP / 5 people)
100 PHP - Guide (500 PHP / 5 people)
50 PHP - Registration fee
10 PHP - Buko
23 PHP - Jeep going back to the Pililla Market
60 PHP - Bus going to Ortigas

TOTAL = 338 PHP plus 200 PHP for food!

Sample Itinerary:

6:00-7:15AM - Take the jeep from Shaw to Pililla
7:15-8:00AM - Ride a tricycle going to Mt. Sembrano's registration area
8:00-8:15AM - Register and warmup
8:15-9:15AM - Reach Manggahan Falls
9:30-11:20AM - Climb to Peak 1
11:20-11:30AM - Climb to Peak 2
11:30-12:00NN - Lunch
12:00-2:00PM - Rest or head on to Peak 3
2:00-3:30PM - Descend to Manggahan Falls
3:30-4:00PM - Rest
4:00-5:00PM - Descend to the registration area
5:00-6:00PM - Clean up
6:00-8:00PM - Head on home!


I hope to begin doing more DIY climbs and beach trips this 2018! But for now, watch out for my next travel blog post on SINGAPORE. I'm leaving on April 30 and I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE FOOD. It's probably the only reason I workout now so I'll have more room for extra weight gain after. :P

See you in my next post, guys! <3

Comments

Popular Posts